Well the season is now over and the Red Sox are back into the Post Season and once again have face the Angels. I am looking forward to that series, however I won't be able to watch Thursday or Friday's game due to me having to be "working" in Arizona to pick up something only to fly right back. Not to mention the games are on so late, but that only is because its in California.
Anyway - Here are my thoughts on the 2009 season:
1. The Red Sox once again made things interesting in order to get into the post-season. They seemed to think they were already in when they played the Royals, and Yankees. Fortuently they showed up against the Indians.
2. Jason Bay average sucks but man you can not argue with the numbers he put up.
3. David Ortiz - I thought he would only get 10 homers this year due to how poorly he started so he has impressed me
4. Ramon Ramirez was great in the first half of the season but now when he comes in I cringed. He has performed well but he is scary.
5. Heidi Whatney most likely will break up a lot of marriages before she dies. She is HOT! Sorry Erin (you are hot as well though)
6. The Red Sox need to play more small ball, especially when Jacoby Ellsbury in on base. Which he is starting to do a lot more of now.
7. Usually it has worked out, but I don't get why Terry Francona takes out a reliver during and inning when they are doing very well and or had done very well the inning before. Don't understand why they can't finish the inning. But hey, Tito is the manager and you have to stick behind him/
8. Fenway Park has made some nice improvements to the stadium. Keep it up.
9. Keep Alex Gonzalez he has been awesome since he came over from the Reds. The revolving door at shortstop needs to end
10. The sox weren't very good on the road and that is depressing.
The red sox came together nicely as a team and it seems like team chemistry is at an all-time high. Great bunch of guys Theo and company has put together. J.D. Drew is still a "good player" but he still gets hurt too much. Hence why I call him "Nancy" but I also still call him that do to superstition. Daisuke Matsuzaka did not seem right all season and I think he is finally coming back to himself and possibly even a better self. Clay Buchholz has amazing moments but he still at times looks completely lost out there and seems to still get rattled very quickly.
It is painfully obvious that the Red Sox don't care that they are almost dead last in throwing out runners or keeping runners on base via the pitcher throwing over or stepping off the rubber. Jason Varitek nor Victor Martinez can throw out a runner. 50/50 on who's fault that is. There's and the pitchers. Slide step people. But it seems like the coaching staff doesn't want them to do that.
One has to think that the real turning point in the season when the Red Sox got Victor Martinez. He could possibly be the next Papi-esque player when it comes to getting clutch hits. He has proven that he can hit when needed plus he is a switch hitter. let's hope he can continue to produce like he has in the past.
Kevin Youkilis yet again has proven that he can cover 1st and 3rd with ease which has to make Mike Lowell and Tito very happy. I am thinking this might be the last year we see Lowell in a Red Sox uniform though. Either that or he will get a lot of time at DH. Meaning David Ortiz will get more time off. Which might not be a good thing either.
I am not sure I have seen a player swing harder at a pitch then Dustin Pedroia. For such a small guy he swings so violently that I think he is either going to throw out his back or fall down, possibly even both!
Anything else to add?